I. General background of translation in Vietnam
Ever since its decision to join the international market and tighten international relations, the demand for language exchanges in Vietnam has snowballed. Numerous global companies and investors have chosen Vietnam as an advantaged location. As a result, translation is something indispensable. More than 800 translation agencies have been established in Vietnam with various prices and qualities. With the avenue of 100 million VND per year, Vietnam has become a growing dragon in the translation market. At the moment, the most demanded language pairs for translation services are Vietnamese <> English, Vietnamese <> CCJK languages, Vietnamese <> SEA Languages and Vietnamese <> European languages.
Nhi Le, TuongVi Vo
According to research, less than 50% of translators and LSPs in Vietnam are using Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) tool for their localization process. Modern technology and qualified Quality Assurance (QA) tools are not widely used in the local industry. Therefore, the overall translation process is both time-consuming and inefficient. As a result, only a few companies can be certified ISO for the past couple of years despite its boastful revenue.
II. The importance of translators
For the past decades, Google Translate is widely known as the best (and free) machine translation, with over 200 million users every day. 1 Nevertheless, as for legal or medical documents, professional and skilful translators are still heavily favoured. A qualified translator can understand and interpret the content correctly, especially the content beyond the semantic meaning. Moreover, many LSPs even provide services such as editing or proofreading, to ensure the most accurate and localized content. More importantly, a translation provider has to take responsibility for confidentiality.
1. The statistic was taken from the below link: https://www.languageinsight.com/blog/2019/google-translate-vs-professional-translation/
III. What makes a good translator
It is falsely believed that to be a translator; an individual only needs to have the ability to juggle words at the top of their head. However, to call oneself a “capable” translator, a linguist must be able to check the following bullet points:
IV. Where to find an excellent Vietnamese translator
Language translation is a well-known service that has become imperative for both individuals and organizations when they want to expand their business. Finding the right translators is one of utmost importance in ensuring an accurate translation.
In Vietnam, there are numerous translation providers. Still, not all of them are qualified. It is intrinsically essential to choose the right Language Service Provider, which offers A-Z localization services. Hansem Vietnam (as a production office of Hansem Global) is widely regarded as the best LSP in the region, thanks to its qualified resources, a complete range of experiences and professional services.
We know Vietnam! Contact us soon and put your concern on translation quality to rest!
1. Cabral, M. (2020, March 18). 16 Must-Have Skills to Become a Successful Translator. Alumiar Elísio. https://www.alumiarelisio.com/blog/skills-successful-translator/
2. Qtiesh, A. (2018, March 31). What Makes a Good Translator? Medium. https://medium.com/meedan-labs/what-makes-a-good-translator-8ef81ff4a060
3. TEN QUALITIES OF A GOOD TRANSLATOR |. (2014, September 27). LingoStar Language Services. https://lingo-star.com/ten-qualities-good-translator/
4. Hoang, T. (2020, September 27). Làm sao để thành công với nghề dịch thuật tại Việt Nam. Tư Vấn Pháp Luật – Tổng Đài Tư Vấn Luật Sư Hà Nội – Công Ty Luật Minh Khuê. https://luatminhkhue.vn/lam-sao-de-thanh-cong-voi-nghe-dich-thuat-tai-viet-nam.aspx
5. Lighthouse Translations. (2019, November 19). Why Do We Need Translation? https://lighthouseonline.com/blog-en/why-do-we-need-translation/
6. Saigon Translation. (2018, October 19). The Quality of VI-EN translation service in VN. https://saigontranslation.com/the-quality-of-vietnamese-english-translation-service-in-vietnam.html/
7. HACO. (n.d.). CÁC BẠN CÓ BIẾT THỰC TRẠNG DỊCH THUẬT VIỆT NAM HIỆN NAY NHƯ NÀO KHÔNG? Dịch Thuật HACO. https://dichthuathaco.com.vn/cac-ban-co-biet-thuc-trang-dich-thuat-viet-nam-hien-nay-nhu-nao-khong.html